PENDINGSCCM upgrade to 2111 - PE reboot

M

mof_cmsmith

I proceeded to follow PW instructions on upgrading SCCM to the latest version. Everything went well, console works, agents updated, etc. However, I find that I am unable to image machines. They will boot the boot.wim, then the x64 image. The PE environment starts (square Windows grid, then the gui) and subsequently restarts.

I have rebuilt the WDS role and boot images. What log files do I need to look at to determine why this occurring so that I can troubleshoot?

Apologies if this is redundant, but I could not see anything in the forums regarding this particular issue.
AhmedLS

AhmedLS

I proceeded to follow PW instructions on upgrading SCCM to the latest version. Everything went well, console works, agents updated, etc. However, I find that I am unable to image machines. They will boot the boot.wim, then the x64 image. The PE environment starts (square Windows grid, then the gui) and subsequently restarts.

I have rebuilt the WDS role and boot images. What log files do I need to look at to determine why this occurring so that I can troubleshoot?

Apologies if this is redundant, but I could not see anything in the forums regarding this particular issue.
first check smsts.log locally on the machine and check the pxe logs on the server afterwards. do you get an ip address when you reach the point of restart
T

trekkeriii

I had this, too. Do you get to the "Windows is starting up" then it reboots. I had just upgraded to SCCM 2207 with the latest Windows 11 (22H2) ADK. What OS is hosting your Boot.wim/WDS/Windows ADK? I think there's an issue with DISM on Windows 2012 R2 and supporting the new WinPE that comes with Windows ADK. It was not injecting the .cab files (like the WMI) into the images. I had to move the boot.wim file to a Windows 2016 server mount it and manually inject the CAB files (and drivers) to the wim, then copy it back to the host.
Reactions: mof_cmsmith
OP
M

mof_cmsmith

I had this, too. Do you get to the "Windows is starting up" then it reboots. I had just upgraded to SCCM 2207 with the latest Windows 11 (22H2) ADK. What OS is hosting your Boot.wim/WDS/Windows ADK? I think there's an issue with DISM on Windows 2012 R2 and supporting the new WinPE that comes with Windows ADK. It was not injecting the .cab files (like the WMI) into the images. I had to move the boot.wim file to a Windows 2016 server mount it and manually inject the CAB files (and drivers) to the wim, then copy it back to the host.
You are right, we are on 2012R2. Remind me of the steps to this (or a link)? I am rebuilding my IT team and they could use the educational opportunity
OP
M

mof_cmsmith

I wanted to provide an update. I have uninstalled the ADK and WDS roles. Reinstalled the role via the enablement of the PXE within SCCM. Reinstalled the ADK.
I now have a stable boot.wim (loads windows), but launched the startnet.cmd and wpeinit and then dumps to a command prompt. It will not resume the boot to get to the menu for installation options.
Any thoughts on next steps? I am including the WINPESHL and WPEINIT log files from the machine. Do I need to rebuild a Boot somewhere?

Attachments

• winpeshl.log
    1.5 KB · Views: 1
  • wpeinit.log
    7.4 KB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westzhang