PENDINGSCCM 2211 .exe Application Deployment

D

DavidR

Hello All,

Fairly new to SCCM/MECM here but I’ve done plenty of research and investigated how to deploy .exe install files on countless videos and websites and I’m still having trouble on getting this exe to install. Our mobile techs use this application called MobileFrame and the goal here is to push out version 6.4.7 to our techs. The install exe and silent commands work just fine when running locally but when I deploy via SCCM it gives me the error “0x643(1603)”.

I can’t seem to find a fix here. I was curious if anybody here could assist? Logs are copied down below for your reference.

Below is the AppEnforce log entries that appear after an attempt:

<![LOG[+++ Starting Install enforcement for App DT "Silent Exe" ApplicationDeliveryType - ScopeId_1B435557-3AE6-4504-AC32-E413A13B7785/DeploymentType_9d519680-9ac4-4a1c-a0e6-57d5f8631bfd, Revision - 3, ContentPath - C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\1a, Execution Context - System]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Performing detection of app deployment type Silent Exe(ScopeId_1B435557-3AE6-4504-AC32-E413A13B7785/DeploymentType_9d519680-9ac4-4a1c-a0e6-57d5f8631bfd, revision 3) for system.]LOG]!>
<![LOG[+++ Application not discovered. [AppDT Id: ScopeId_1B435557-3AE6-4504-AC32-E413A13B7785/DeploymentType_9d519680-9ac4-4a1c-a0e6-57d5f8631bfd, Revision: 3]]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ App enforcement environment:
Context: Machine
Command line: "MobileFrame Windows Client Setup.exe" /s /V"/quiet /qn /log c:\install.log"
Allow user interaction: No
UI mode: 1
User token: null
Session Id: 1
Content path: C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\1a
工作目录:日志]! > <时间=“12:01:20.284 + 420”date="08-07-2023" component="AppEnforce" context="" type="1" thread="20436" file="appcontext.cpp:85">
<![LOG[ Prepared working directory: C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\1a]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Prepared command line: "C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\1a\MobileFrame Windows Client Setup.exe" /s /V"/quiet /qn /log c:\install.log"]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Executing Command line: "C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\1a\MobileFrame Windows Client Setup.exe" /s /V"/quiet /qn /log c:\install.log" with user context]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Working directory C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\1a]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Post install behavior is BasedOnExitCode]LOG]!>
<!(日志(等待进程19184完成。Timeout = 15 minutes.]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Process 19184 terminated with exitcode: 1603]LOG]!>
<![[寻找退出代码1603登录退出代码table...]LOG]!>
<![LOG[ Unmatched exit code (1603) is considered an execution failure.]LOG]!>
<![LOG[++++++ App enforcement completed (6 seconds) for App DT "Silent Exe" [ScopeId_1B435557-3AE6-4504-AC32-E413A13B7785/DeploymentType_9d519680-9ac4-4a1c-a0e6-57d5f8631bfd], Revision: 3, User SID: ] ++++++]LOG]!>

If it helps, attached is the install log that MobileFrame creates.

Attachments

• install.log
    39 KB · Views: 4
OP
D

DavidR

Garth,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response I’ve been held up with other projects. So I have read the exe log (it’s attached so please correct me if I’m wrong) and it looks like it fails when installing from the System account (line 146 in the log). In SCCM I’ve chosen to install for system. When I do this for other applications it works just fine but this exe doesn’t want to cooperate. I’ve read that other people have experienced this before with other exe installs…they just don’t like cooperating with SCCM. And yes following that link you’ve sent I’ve confirmed via Method #1 (Create an SCCM Package) that my local system account is working fine.
Garth

Garth

Staff member
Garth,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response I’ve been held up with other projects. So I have read the exe log (it’s attached so please correct me if I’m wrong) and it looks like it fails when installing from the System account (line 146 in the log). In SCCM I’ve chosen to install for system. When I do this for other applications it works just fine but this exe doesn’t want to cooperate. I’ve read that other people have experienced this before with other exe installs…they just don’t like cooperating with SCCM. And yes following that link you’ve sent I’ve confirmed via Method #1 (Create an SCCM Package) that my local system account is working fine.
For clarity, you used the exact same command within the CMD to install the app? and there are no prompt or errors when you run it from the CMD?
OP
D

DavidR

For clarity, you used the exact same command within the CMD to install the app? and there are no prompt or errors when you run it from the CMD?
Correct, the same command works completely fine when it runs locally on command prompt.
OP
D

DavidR

And you ran the CMD as a x86 prompt?
Yes, x64 and x86 cmd locally installs fine. Via SCCM, installing x64 or x86 will fail with same error results. So here's the thought that makes me scratch my head...if you look at the failed log file I've attached, the error states 'InstallShield 12:21:01: ResolveSidForAccountName: looking up account name 'RW\SYSTEM''. That RW\ is our domain and that shouldn't be included right? When you choose to Install for System in SCCM, rather than Install for User, it should use the local SYSTEM account, correct? So that domain portion shouldn't be included there but for some reason this exe does.

If this truly is our blocking point, then I would need to create a powershell script to install this exe but I imagine I would need to include admin credentials in it as well which we really don't want to do. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with powershell either so perhaps there's a way to install as an admin without adding creds but I would need to research. If you agree that this is the route I'll have to go and you have any insight then it would be much appreciated.
Garth

Garth

Staff member
Yes, x64 and x86 cmd locally installs fine. Via SCCM, installing x64 or x86 will fail with same error results. So here's the thought that makes me scratch my head...if you look at the failed log file I've attached, the error states 'InstallShield 12:21:01: ResolveSidForAccountName: looking up account name 'RW\SYSTEM''. That RW\ is our domain and that shouldn't be included right? When you choose to Install for System in SCCM, rather than Install for User, it should use the local SYSTEM account, correct? So that domain portion shouldn't be included there but for some reason this exe does.

If this truly is our blocking point, then I would need to create a powershell script to install this exe but I imagine I would need to include admin credentials in it as well which we really don't want to do. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with powershell either so perhaps there's a way to install as an admin without adding creds but I would need to research. If you agree that this is the route I'll have to go and you have any insight then it would be much appreciated.
I'm sorry I'm going to look for clarification. As what you are saying above seems to contradict your testing. And confirm that you are not testing on a DC.

You use PSExec (PSexec -s -i cmd) to open an x86 CMD? You typewhoamiwithin the open within and it saysnt authority\system?

set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE and it say X86

Then you run the run the exact same command line you use within ConfigMgr Program. and you are saying that it work?
OP
D

DavidR

Testing my app deployment on a Domain Controller? No, I've got a test laptop here that's on our domain.

I had trouble with running PSexec, but using method 1 (https://www.recastsoftware.com/resources/how-to-access-the-local-system-account/) thewhoamicommand returnednt authority\systemandset processor_architecturereturnedPROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86.

Running the command "MobileFrame Windows Client Setup.exe" /s /V"/quiet /qn /log c:\install.log" on its own will not work because it doesn't have the content referenced (which would normally be included with the application deployment. But if I were to put that exe in a folder somewhere and cd to that folder...then the command would install just fine.
Garth

Garth

Staff member
Running the command "MobileFrame Windows Client Setup.exe" /s /V"/quiet /qn /log c:\install.log" on its own will not work because it doesn't have the content referenced (which would normally be included with the application deployment. But if I were to put that exe in a folder somewhere and cd to that folder...then the command would install just fine.
You will need to contact the vendor to ask them what their setup is doing.
S

SEHSCCM

If you're lucky some vendors might have a guide for deploying their applications from SCCM. It certainly couldn't hurt to ask them.

I do agree with Garth though--it certainly feels like the content needed for your deployment package isn't making it to the local ccmcache dir on your computer.

You can find the exact folder SCCM/Software Center is using by consulting theC:\Windows\CCM\Logs\AppEnforce.log. Look for an entry that reads something like this:
Working directory C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\n

(Tip: UtilizeCMTrace.exeto open.logfiles for a more readable method vs. Notepad. CMTrace can be found in the following folder on your primary site server:CD.Latest\SMSSETUP\TOOLS).

Then examine that folder to see if all the install bits needed are indeed there.

As a guide, never change anything in the ccmcache folder, nor manually delete any of the content/folders therein. These are automatically managed by SCCM and aged out based on your Client Cache settings, and whether or not content on your distribution point(s) gets updated.
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squuiid