PENDINGDistribution points fail to instal VCREDIST

R

ronnydrak

Hi,
After upgrading to SCCM 2207 are all our Site servers getting this error when trying to upgrade. In distmgrlog
"Failed to install vcredist on DP , ErrorCode - 8, Hresult - 0x0 SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 2022-11-30 16:43:32 15144 (0x3B28)"
In Distribution Point configuration status we get error
Distribution Manager failed to install distribution point DP.
Possible cause: Distribution manger does not have sufficient rights to the computer
Solution: Verify that the site server computer account is an administrator on the distribution point computer.
If i would reinstall Windows everything works without having do anything.
The rights are assigned by group in AD so the server has group that inclues SCCM server account, service account for SCCM with DA.

Any suggestions? Having to reinstall 50+ site servers feels abit wierd.
M

Mata101Alex

We are having the same issue. Microsoft support was no help either. They are saying its a permission issue however when spinning up a new machine it works just fine. Its only affecting the DP's that have been part of the site for the longest now. I've tried completely removing the DP from SCCM blowing away all folders I can think of related to SCCM, repairing IIS, manually installing the visual c++ redist with no luck. Still get the same error.
M

Mata101Alex

We are having the same issue. Microsoft support was no help either. They are saying its a permission issue however when spinning up a new machine it works just fine. Its only affecting the DP's that have been part of the site for the longest now. I've tried completely removing the DP from SCCM blowing away all folders I can think of related to SCCM, repairing IIS, manually installing the visual c++ redist with no luck. Still get the same error.
We've done multiple updates to our SCCM before without ever encountering this issue. The account that SCCM uses is part of the BUILTIN\Administrators as well.
OP
R

ronnydrak

We found what was causing our issues. seems our AW is causing the issue. So we uninstalled the AW and it started working after a while after the gpos with rights synced.
kevinsteck

kevinsteck

我遇到同样的问题,发现了一个partial solution for my environment. First off I am unable to get the Distribution Install to work using the Site Server Computer Account no matter what I do. I can get another account to install it successfully, but the account has to have been signed in locally on the Distribution Point computer prior to the Distribution Point Install. Once the user account is on the computer the install goes through fine.
OP
R

ronnydrak

我遇到同样的问题,发现了一个partial solution for my environment. First off I am unable to get the Distribution Install to work using the Site Server Computer Account no matter what I do. I can get another account to install it successfully, but the account has to have been signed in locally on the Distribution Point computer prior to the Distribution Point Install. Once the user account is on the computer the install goes through fine.
We had to create new accounts that the site server uses. So if a account has been used an failed we had to use new ones and even tho they are added trough a group it still failed.
D

Djal

I had exactly the same issue last week when i installed a patch for the 2111. No matter what, the DP cannot be installed with the computer account. We had to use a specific user account.
This same computer account was used before (January 2022) to update the same 2111 without any issue.
kevinsteck

kevinsteck

I had exactly the same issue last week when i installed a patch for the 2111. No matter what, the DP cannot be installed with the computer account. We had to use a specific user account.
This same computer account was used before (January 2022) to update the same 2111 without any issue.
Yep that's the case for me. Annoyingly one DP installed fine with the specific user account, but all the others need the account logged in locally beforehand to install the DP.
M

MECMCL

I was going nuts on this issue. We use Cortex XDR. We ran into the same issue 6 months ago when i upgraded our MECM environment to 2207 but at that time all Windows 10 DP's are fine and the issue happened only on Windows server DP's and i had to use different account other than site server system account to install the DP. Once the DP is installed, i was able to switch it back to site server system account.
From past 2 weeks, this issue started happening again for Windows 10 and server DP's. I had to use another account to install DP role and for majority of the DP's it worked but some DP's it did not worked. What seems to work so far is me manually RDP into troubled DP's and add the account to administrator account that i was using for installing DP even though this account is already part of security group that has admin rights on all DPs.
I am still on 2207.@ronnydrakdid you guys opened a case with Palo for this issue.
这个问题是很奇怪和令人烦恼的交易。
Please share if any of you guys use Cortex and running into same issue like me.@kevinsteck @Djal @Mata101Alex

Attachments

• VCRedist_Error.jpg
    VCRedist_Error.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 3
M

Mata101Alex

I was going nuts on this issue. We use Cortex XDR. We ran into the same issue 6 months ago when i upgraded our MECM environment to 2207 but at that time all Windows 10 DP's are fine and the issue happened only on Windows server DP's and i had to use different account other than site server system account to install the DP. Once the DP is installed, i was able to switch it back to site server system account.
From past 2 weeks, this issue started happening again for Windows 10 and server DP's. I had to use another account to install DP role and for majority of the DP's it worked but some DP's it did not worked. What seems to work so far is me manually RDP into troubled DP's and add the account to administrator account that i was using for installing DP even though this account is already part of security group that has admin rights on all DPs.
I am still on 2207.@ronnydrakdid you guys opened a case with Palo for this issue.
这个问题是很奇怪和令人烦恼的交易。
Please share if any of you guys use Cortex and running into same issue like me.@kevinsteck @Djal @Mata101Alex
I opened a case with Cortex and it wasn't very helpful. We paused end point protection on one of the DP's and the issue still persisted. They basically said it wasn't cortex then.
M

MECMCL

I opened a case with Cortex and it wasn't very helpful. We paused end point protection on one of the DP's and the issue still persisted. They basically said it wasn't cortex then.
Thank you for a quick response. Do you guys still have this issue or the issue is resolved now?
Garth

Garth

Staff member
I see it created a log file when ConfigMgr tried to install it, Did you read it?
K

KCorp

@MECMCLI'm also seeing this issue. CM 2211. Also an environment with Cortex XDR on the site systems. Using domain user account, that has logged into site systems works as others have reported, but no joy with site server account.
Reactions: MECMCL
K

KCorp

@MECMCLI was able to get the installation to work using the site server account using this method.

From the site server I executed a PowerShell script under the context of the site server computer account using a scheduled task (could also use psexec for this). This script executed a basic command on each of my affected distribution points using Invoke-Command. A side effect of this is the creation of a user profile for the site server on each system. You'll see this under C:\Users\SIteServer$ on the remote system if you show hidden files, and in the Advanced System Settings under User Profiles. Once this exists the error in distmgr.log went away next time it cycled and the DP upgrades worked.

Honestly not sure what's changed to cause this, but this at least got me over the immediate issue.
Reactions: MECMCL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markjames