PENDINGCCMExec, smstsmgr, CmRcService services disabled during W10 IPU and not reenabled

C
Hello, new here!

We have a Task Sequence configured for an OSUpgradePack to take W10 clients to 22H2, this works fine in terms of the upgrade. However once the upgrade is complete the following services are disabled and do not automatically restart:

CCMExec
TSManager
CmRcService

See below a snip from the clients SMSTS.log showing the client exiting provisioning mode and disabling the services, at no other point in the log are the services referenced, I would expect to see them 'Renenabled'
1687518494229.png

Any ideas please?
OP
C
So I think we have a fix for this, I have tested successfully on a couple of devices today by adding in a task in the post processing step of the Task Sequence to run a PowerShell script to restart the services. The Smsts.log shows the script being called as part of the TS but does not show the services being reenabled, however they were running on the devices after the upgrade. the PS is:

Set-Service -Name CmRcService -StartupType Automatic
Set-Service -Name ccmexec -StartupType Automatic
Set-Service -Name smstsmgr -StartupType Manual

@Danathis may work for you as well?
D

dana.corson

So I think we have a fix for this, I have tested successfully on a couple of devices today by adding in a task in the post processing step of the Task Sequence to run a PowerShell script to restart the services. The Smsts.log shows the script being called as part of the TS but does not show the services being reenabled, however they were running on the devices after the upgrade. the PS is:

Set-Service -Name CmRcService -StartupType Automatic
Set-Service -Name ccmexec -StartupType Automatic
Set-Service -Name smstsmgr -StartupType Manual

@Danathis may work for you as well?
Thanks Chris, I'll give this a try.
D

dana.corson

Thanks Chris, I'll give this a try.
After adding the powershell to restart the services to my task sequence it worked for two test computers successfully, the 3rd PC didn't resume after the reboot. The services were disabled and in the registry the PC was left in provisioning mode. Not sure why it works for some & others it doesn't.

Here's what the log shows:

Screenshot 2023-06-30 105714.png

Screenshot 2023-06-30 105940.png
OP
C
After adding the powershell to restart the services to my task sequence it worked for two test computers successfully, the 3rd PC didn't resume after the reboot. The services were disabled and in the registry the PC was left in provisioning mode. Not sure why it works for some & others it doesn't.

Here's what the log shows:

View attachment 5382

View attachment 5383
Hey Dana,

How is your TS set up? at what point is the script called?
I have the PS script in the post processing section of the TS, if this is the case for you then do you see the script being called in the smsts.log for the device that failed to start services?
D

dana.corson

Hey Dana,

How is your TS set up? at what point is the script called?
I have the PS script in the post processing section of the TS, if this is the case for you then do you see the script being called in the smsts.log for the device that failed to start services?
Hi Chris,

I'm going to test a few more to see if I have the same issues. I do have the PS Script in the post processing section of the TS. I just went back and reviewed the logs on 1 of them and I think the user restarted the PC during the upgrade. I appreciate all your help and getting back to me.
D

dana.corson

Hi Chris,

I'm going to test a few more to see if I have the same issues. I do have the PS Script in the post processing section of the TS. I just went back and reviewed the logs on 1 of them and I think the user restarted the PC during the upgrade. I appreciate all your help and getting back to me.
Ran the TS on my test VM successfully, I can see it run the PS to restart services successfully. I ran the TS on a production PC and after the reboot services were disabled and TS didn't continue with the post processing steps. The only thing that changed was after the reboot the IP address did change. I've manually restarted the TSManager service and the upgrade started again with the same results.
OP
C
Ran the TS on my test VM successfully, I can see it run the PS to restart services successfully. I ran the TS on a production PC and after the reboot services were disabled and TS didn't continue with the post processing steps. The only thing that changed was after the reboot the IP address did change. I've manually restarted the TSManager service and the upgrade started again with the same results.
Can you post your TS?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squuiid