SOLVEDApplication installing but failing on any detection method added, uninstall works fine with no errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
chrisleon15

chrisleon15

Only happening with a specific application, is there any way around the detection method? I have tried the powershell detection method but when I use that the application doesnt show in the software center?

The software package installed successfully, but a software detection rule was not found but the product code MSI code is there and the location information but for some reason this doesn’t work with the last few SCIA versions. Why does it do this?

Can someone advise how I can solve this please?

CL

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    137.3 KB · Views: 6
Solution
chrisleon15
Then remove the package from the application model and recreate it in the package model where a detection method is not required.

Moreover, you must choose the wait to install action when using a packaging tool or script to ensure that the script waits until the installation is finished before moving on to the next action. Otherwise, the script will initiate the installation as soon as it moves on to the next line, rendering the detection method unsuccessful.
Hi MJ

I recreated in a package model like you said and it worked, takes a little longer to install but worked like a charm. Thanks so much man. Going forward any applications I cant package will do this way.

Thank you. I might need to bother you for one other thing for...
AhmedLS

AhmedLS

Only happening with a specific application, is there any way around the detection method? I have tried the powershell detection method but when I use that the application doesnt show in the software center?

The software package installed successfully, but a software detection rule was not found but the product code MSI code is there and the location information but for some reason this doesn’t work with the last few SCIA versions. Why does it do this?

Can someone advise how I can solve this please?

CL

try to list the msi code of the installed SCI and check if it matches the one you have on your detection method. just make sure the name (SCI) is displayed in add/remove program and correct it below in the command as written in add/remove program

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {$_.name -match "SCI*"}
Garth

Garth

Staff member
try to list the msi code of the installed SCI and check if it matches the one you have on your detection method. just make sure the name (SCI) is displayed in add/remove program and correct it below in the command as written in add/remove program

You should NEVER use Win32_Product.
OP
chrisleon15

chrisleon15

Hi Ahmed, thanks for your reply. I am not quite sure what you mean by this?
D

Darian Black

Hi

Maybe the following procedure will help you:
Open Powershell and change to the directory where the exe is located. To display the version(s) start:
Get-item "FileYouWantDetect.exe" | Select *
This will show you the exact version and path. (As a cross check)
1676906149635.png
I made the experience that with 64Bit installations and path variables the "flag" at "This file or folder is associated with a 32-Bit..." can have an influence.

Good Luck:)
Friendly greetings
DB
OP
chrisleon15

chrisleon15

Hi

Maybe the following procedure will help you:
Open Powershell and change to the directory where the exe is located. To display the version(s) start:
Get-item "FileYouWantDetect.exe" | Select *
This will show you the exact version and path. (As a cross check)
View attachment 5063
I made the experience that with 64Bit installations and path variables the "flag" at "This file or folder is associated with a 32-Bit..." can have an influence.

Good Luck:)
Friendly greetings
DB
Hi DB

谢谢你的回应伴侣,我检查这个it all seems right. Uninstalling the application is fine with the detection method its only when installing it and its only with this one particular application (SCIA Engineer) every other application I have never had this problem with.
OP
chrisleon15

chrisleon15

run the command on a computer with the software installed (SCIA). you will get one or more of MSI codes. check if it matches what you have on your detection method.
Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for that mate will use that in the future, I did run the command and it came back with the Identifying Number I have as the detection method. Its so weird as the uninstaller works with the detection. I have tried all methods of detection. I am starting to think the issue is maybe with the application itself. I have even tried the MSI.

Regards

CL

Attachments

• SCCM Snip.PNG
    SCCM Snip.PNG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1
MJ-Tech

MJ-Tech

Do you have a reason for your choice of file as a detection method? if not, Pl use the registry as your detection method ,

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ (64 bit)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ (32 bit)
OP
chrisleon15

chrisleon15

Do you have a reason for your choice of file as a detection method? if not, Pl use the registry as your detection method ,

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ (64 bit)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ (32 bit)
Hi MJ

Thanks for your reply, I have tried every detection method you could think of, I think its the application. I have only came across this issue on this one bit of software.

Regards

CL
MJ-Tech

MJ-Tech

Then remove the package from the application model and recreate it in the package model where a detection method is not required.

Moreover, you must choose the wait to install action when using a packaging tool or script to ensure that the script waits until the installation is finished before moving on to the next action. Otherwise, the script will initiate the installation as soon as it moves on to the next line, rendering the detection method unsuccessful.
Last edited:
Reactions: chrisleon15
OP
chrisleon15

chrisleon15

Hi MJ

I recreated in a package model like you said and it worked, takes a little longer to install but worked like a charm. Thanks so much man. Going forward any applications I cant package will do this way.

Thank you. I might need to bother you for one other thing for another application that works but I need to add a reg key in but as the user. now, can I package the app the way you said and it will install the reg keys as the user logged on? through the applications although I set the application to install as the user it will input the reg key to the admin user profile. It will only add it to the user logged on if they are an admin otherwise it fails.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

THANKS TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME OUT TO TRY HELP ME OUT WITH THIS!
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCCMAJSJ